Wednesday, October 10, 2012

LV Outlet   Do you think you will ever be able to satisfy that appetite of yours

  "Do you think you will ever be able to satisfy that appetite of yours?"laughed Phil.
  "I hope not," answered Teddy solemnly. "That's the only fun in life-thatand the donkey."Just then Mr. Sparling passed through the cabin on the way to hisstateroom and office. He gave Phil a significant glance, to which theCircus Boy did not respond. A few minutes later, however, Phil strolledout to the deck. Reaching it he turned quickly and hurried aft, enteringthe passageway there and going directly to Mr. Sparling's quarters.
  "Come in," invited the owner in response to Phil's gentle rap.
  The blinds had been drawn up, though the windows were let down intotheir casings out of sight. Phil noted this in a quick glance.
  "Sit down and tell me what has happened, Phil. I am sure you havemade some sort of discovery.""I have and I haven't.""What do you mean?""That I am deeper in the mire than ever.""Tell me about it.""While I have made no discoveries that will help us much, I havelearned just enough to understand that there is a diabolical plot on foot.""Against whom?""I am not sure, but I think it is against Teddy and myself.""Is it possible? Who are the plotters?""That is the worst of it; I do not know. I wish I did. I thought Ihad one of the men identified, but I find I am all wrong. I am more atsea than ever." "Who did you think it was?""As long as I am mistaken, why should I accuse anyone?""You are right. Have you reason to believe it is someone connectedwith this show?""I am sure that at least one of the men is.""Then there is more than one in this thing?""There are two men. At least I have seen two. There may be morefor all I know.""Now, tell me what it is all about. You haven't said a word regardingthis plot yet," urged the showman drawing his chair around the corner ofhis desk and leaning forward with his hands on his knees.
  Phil told how he strolled off into the field adjoining the circus lot, andwent on in detail to relate all that had occurred after that. As heproceeded with his story the face of James Sparling grew serious and thenstern.
  "I presume I should have stood my ground and given battle to them, iffor no other reason than to find out who they were," concluded the lad,somewhat ruefully.
  "Phil Forrest, you should have done nothing of the sort," answered Mr.
  Sparling sharply. "You take quite enough risk as it is. You think theplot now is to tamper with the big net?""Yes, sir.""Is it possible that such scoundrels are traveling with the Sparlingshows?""I wish I did not think so.""Phil, it is not the man who was responsible for several accidents thefirst year you were with us, is it?" demanded the showman shrewdly,darting a sharp glance at Phil.
  "No, sir," answered the boy flushing a little. "That man is no longerwith the show.""I thought so. Now I have him located.""The--the man I saw tonight--you know him?" gasped Phil.
  "No. I did not mean that. I refer to the fellow who nearly causedyour death three years ago.""Oh!""You had some trouble with Diaz a short time ago, did you not?"Phil was surprised that the showman was aware of this.
相关的主题文章:

No comments:

Post a Comment